Ok, well, I didn't make it. My mom did! For my birthday! Isn't that nice?
This is pretty much one of my favorite cakes out there. It's like nutella, but better, and in a cake. More hazelnutty too.
I love this cake because it is quite light and airy for a nut cake, and the flavor combination is delicious. Make sure you use good hazelnuts though, rancidity is just not very tasty...
This is a french recipe from Elle magazine, so it is in grams. Just get yourself a balance and be happy I translated the instruction for you.
Hazelnut Chocolate Cake
- 200g shelled hazelnuts
- 3 eggs
- 150g sugar
- 20g flour
- 60g melted butter
- 50g chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C (350F.)
- Butter a 9in diameter round cake pan.
- Using a food processor, grind the hazelnuts to a coarse sand-like texture.
- Separate the whites from the yolks and beat them into stiff peaks.
- In a medium-large bowl combine the sugar with the egg yolks and beat until pale and mousse like. (about 3 minutes with an electric mixer)
- Slowly, still mixing, add in the flour.
- Add the melted butter, mix it in, then add the hazelnuts.
- Gently fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter in the buttered pan and bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until golden.
- Let it rest 10 minutes out of the oven before un-molding
- Enjoy! You can decorate with a thin dusting of confectioner's sugar if you like.