Sunday, June 26, 2011

Things I want to learn, Books I want to read.

This post is not really food related, but I felt like writing it. I am going off to college next, and I am going to have to somehow pick a major and choose classes from all the different amazing classes I can take. I am pretty sure I want to be a science major, but there are a lot of other things I want to learn, and so I decided to make a list.

And so, in no particular order, the things I want to learn:


  • Photography. I want to actually understand what all the different settings do and I want to be able to take really cool looking pictures (of food!! (and other stuff))
  • Chinese. It would be so useful!! Because then I could go to my friends' houses and creep on their conversations with their parents!! (And also other reasons of course, like that a large portion of the world speaks it.)
  • Cello. It is so beautiful.
  • Arabic. It is just that boss. Also, this country lacks a lot of cultural awareness of the entire part of the world that speaks Arabic.
  • CS. Because then I would be able to do cool stuff.
  • How to make croissants (because they are freakin' delicious)
  • How to twirl my pencil (I know it is passé, but I still want to know (I actually once wrote a terrible short story where the main character was a really good at twirling his pencil. The story also involved aliens called "iglepuffs" and a π/pie contest.)
  • Robotics. It's just awesome.  (at least my robotics friends say so, and I believe them)
  • Knowing how to draw decently would be useful
  • One day I also should learn my funtional groups. You know, that aldehyde ketone esther stuff. Then I could look at a molecule and say a very a fancy name for it and look smart! Yay!
  • There are definitely more things that belong on this list, but I cannot remember them now.

Also, there are so many books I need to read. I am currently almost finished with my first real French literature book (Le Chercheur d'Or by Le Clézio), and then I have a long list of other books I need to read. Unfortunately, I often forget what books I need to read, so here is what I remember at the moment:
  • The series A song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin (AKA Game of Thrones)
  • Ender's Game
  • The Flavor Thesaurus (it's more of a looking stuff up book, but I kinda want to read through it)
  • Harry Potter 7 (I have only read it once! Completely Unacceptable!)
  • The Importance of Being Earnest (My english class ran out of time to read it, so we only watched the movie, and I was absent for half of it)
  • A Streetcar Named Desire (the title sounds cool and my friend likes it)
  • Oh, es él!  A silly book in spanish concerning Julio Iglesias and a crossdresser.
  • I should probably eventually finish the first book of Asimov's Foundation series (I have a tendency to start books and not finish them)