Monday, December 26, 2011

Tobe's Candy-Cane Cookies

In my last post I mentioned my suitemate Tobe's delicious candy cane cookies, and she has kindly agreed to let me post her recipe on this blog. As I wrote earlier, my roommate Sophia and I made 2 batches of these cookies because we could not resist the warm combination of the soft almond cookies and the crunchy-sweet peppermint topping.

Tobe's Candy-Cane Cookies

Ingredients:
    Dough:
  • 1 C soft shortening 
  • 1 C powdered sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 1/2 C flour
  • 1 tsp salt 
    Topping:
  • 1/2 candycanes, crushed
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
Procedure:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 375F.
  2. Mix the first 5 ingredients together by hand. (I used a whisk)
  3. Add the flour and salt. (I used a spoon at first and then switched to using my fingers)
  4. Divide the dough into as many parts as you want colors and knead in food coloring until the desired color is achieved. 
  5. To make candy cane shape: Roll 1 tsp of each color in to a strip about 4" long.  Place strips together side by side and twist together. Curve tops down for candy cane effect.
  6. To make thumbprint shape (for people who fail at making candy canes like me): take 2 tsp of dough, roll it into a sphere, and press down in the middle with your thumb. (This shape is good for holding a lot of topping)
  7. Place on ungreased cookie sheets and bake at 375F for 9 minutes.
  8. Combine the crushed candy-canes and the sugar in a bowl.
  9. Remove cookies from baking sheet while warm, place on paper towels and sprinkle with topping.

No comments: