Tobe's Candy-Cane Cookies
- 1 C soft shortening
- 1 C powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 C flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 candycanes, crushed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 375F.
- Mix the first 5 ingredients together by hand. (I used a whisk)
- Add the flour and salt. (I used a spoon at first and then switched to using my fingers)
- Divide the dough into as many parts as you want colors and knead in food coloring until the desired color is achieved.
- To make candy cane shape: Roll 1 tsp of each color in to a strip about 4" long. Place strips together side by side and twist together. Curve tops down for candy cane effect.
- To make thumbprint shape (for people who fail at making candy canes like me): take 2 tsp of dough, roll it into a sphere, and press down in the middle with your thumb. (This shape is good for holding a lot of topping)
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets and bake at 375F for 9 minutes.
- Combine the crushed candy-canes and the sugar in a bowl.
- Remove cookies from baking sheet while warm, place on paper towels and sprinkle with topping.