Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Chestnut Pie



The same weekend Virginie made her paella, Florence (a family friend from Chicago) and I made a chestnut pie (actually, we made two). The recipe was from a French cookbook for quiches, quick breads and pies. It was called Quiches, Cakes, et Compagnie, literally: Quiches, Loaf Cakes, and Company (as in "We have company for dinner tonight.") I decided to make the pie because I had seen a can of chestnut purée in the cupboard.
The recipe goes like this:
Blind bake a pie crust. Mix chestnut purée with cream and honey an almonds. Pour filling into a crust, bake again. The first picture is the recipe in French, clique on it for a larger version to practice your French!
Since I was lazy, I used a pre-made pie crust. It was ok, but too salty for the recipe, next time I'll make my own crust. Also, I made 2 different pies. One of them had almonds and the other didn't. This is because Virginie is allergic to nuts. The one with almonds was better because it had a thicker consistency, but this may be because the other one was slightly undercooked. Oh well, next time I'll do better.

1 comment:

claire said...

oh mein gott... that looks so good