Sunday, April 20, 2008

Tamagoyaki Part 2!

more pics on Flikr (the last 2 pictures are from the first time in January)
My dad recently came back from a business trip in Japan, and he brought back a rectangular omelet pan! Of course, this made me want to try making tamagoyaki (or rolled omelet) again. Last time it turned out fine, but my dad complained that it did not taste Japanese enough. This time I decided to follow exactly the recipe in the Japanese cookbook I have.
Now for the hard part: rolling the eggs. Because the rectangular pan was bigger than the circular pan I had used, I rolled the omelet in two times instead of three so that a good layer of egg would cover the entire pan. I started on a burner that was smaller than the pan, but the corners were not cooking, so I switched to another burner. I found that rolling in a rectangular pan is much harder than in a circular pan because the edges always stick! Plus, I burned myself on the burner I had stopped using. In the end, the tamagoyaki made in a rectangular pan did not look very different from the one I made in January. I don't recommend going out to buy a rectangular pan just to make this omelet, but since I have one I'll practice with it until I can use it properly.
The recipe I used this time made a more 'Japanese' omelet. Its from "Let's Cook Japanese Food" by Amy Kaneko.
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 1/2 dashi broth (See First Post )
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
  • pinch salt

No comments: