Saturday, January 12, 2008

Success! or, partially... Tamagoyaki (sweet rolled omelet)


I made 2 omelets, one was eaten last night, and the other this morning. In the one I made first, I accidentally put 1 tbsp of soy sauce instead of 1 tsp as was directed. I tried scooping some of it out , but it was impossible. So, I didn't put the pinch of salt that the recipe asked for. This first omelet tasted fine and was a success.
For the second omelet, I made sure to just put 1 tsp and a pinch of salt. When we ate this in the morning though, it tasted too salty and not at all like the ones you get in Japanese restaurants. Now I know that 1 tbsp of soy sauce is the better.
Both omelets had the same problem though, The recipe said not to let the eggs darken, but I found that impossible. Oh well.

Final recipe:
3 eggs
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp dashi broth
-1/4 tsp instant dashi powder
-1/2 cup hot water
-Mix, stir, and take 3 tbsp

Break the eggs into a bowl, mix in the other stuff.
Heat a small frying pan with a small amount of oil.
Pour a third of egg into it and let cook about a minute, lifting the edges to let uncooked egg flow underneath.
Pick up one edge w/ chopsticks or spatula and roll it
Repeat twice with remaining egg mixture, letting new egg flow underneath rolled part, and rolling from the rolled part (if that makes sense).

This is actually quite fun to do, once you get the hang of it.

No comments: