Monday, January 28, 2008

My brother's Birthday Dinner!

It was my brothers birthday Monday, but we celebrated it Sunday with some family friends. We ate my mom's pumpkin risotto with my dad's whole roasted chicken, and for dessert... a Mango-Pineapple-Ginger-Chocolate-Upside-Down-Cake-Thingy!!!!! (I made it) I got the recipe from this really cool book I have named I Want Chocolate by Trish Deseine. It's a very tasty book. The cake I made was in short mangoes and pineapple chunks covered with chocolate cake batter, baked, and served upside down. It good, but didn't taste as gingery as I thought it would. We served with fresh pineapple and mango on the side with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
My mom's risotto was also tasty as usual, the pumpkin was soft and sweet, and the rice was smooth and oniony. I love onions.
My dad's roasted chicken is actually very easy to make, and comes out beautiful and moist. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the chicken.
Here are some recipes:
Chicken
buy a whole chicken and a chicken stand.
Trim off excess fat, and place thin, flat pieces garlic underneath the skin.
Place chicken on stand and bake for 45ish minutes at 350F.
Risotto
Cut up some onions and start cooking them with olive oil.
Add risotto rice to pan and stir for a while.
Add chicken broth and put pumpkin cubes on a baking sheet and in the oven until they are brownish.
Add all the other stuff for risotto.
When everything is done, serve with pumpkin on top of rice.
Mango, Pineapple, and Ginger Upside-Down Dessert
Cut 1 mango and 1/4 pineapple into cubes.
Melt 6 oz dark chocolate chocolate with 1/2c butter.
Beat 1/3c sugar with 2 eggs, then with choco-butter mix that you melted until frothish.
Fold in 2/3c flour, 1tsp baking powder, 1 tbsp chopped preserved ginger,and 3 oz choco chips.
Place fruit in a 9x9 or similar sized greased pan (you could try using the parchment paper technique) and pour cake batter over them.
Bake for 30 minutes in a 350F oven. Then take out cake, cover with foil and put it back in for 15 minutes (that makes 45min total)

* * *
Before the dinner, we found some cool looking drink: Sparkling Ginger Drink. This was not your old Canada Dry Ginger Ale, it actually had GINGER in it! It was tangy and yummy. I made a very good "ginger float" by putting a scoop of ice cream in it. (Notice the bottle is empty)
P.S. It was non-alcoholic

1 comment:

Julien said...

Thanks for the great party!